My Comic-Con Recap

HIGHLIGHTS:
Running into Matt Fraction and Kelly Sue DeConnick at the airport and having someone to chat with on the plane.
Meeting Warren Ellis (eventhough he had no idea who the hell I was).
Meeting comedian Brian Posehn and finding out he’s a big fan of THE OTHER SIDE.
Making out with Rick Remender (he wishes).
The Lobster Sliders at Chive.
Meeting Ivan Brandon and getting a copy of 24seven Vol. 2 (which looks terrific).
Getting a custom-made Engine message board ID from Rantz Hoseley.
Getting lots of free shit (apparently when comic creators are alone, they GIVE things to each another).
Getting invited to a convention in Spain.
Getting writing and career advice from the always straight-shooting Brian Azzarello.
Seeing and chatting with almost everyone I wanted to see.
Attending the Eisners and having my nomination read by one of the dudes from “Reno 911.”
Seeing the one-legged lady at the GRINDHOUSE booth.


LOWLIGHTS:
Feeling a little like a creepy perv after taking photos of the one-legged lady at the GRINDHOUSE booth.
Losing at the Eisners (though it was to Paul Pope, who’s a genius and a rock star, so what are you gonna do?).
Failing miserably in my quest to meet Grant Morrison (and even missing all of his panels).
Failing even more miserably in my quest to make out with Rosario Dawson.
Forgetting to steal the SCALPED poster off the wall of DC’s Green Room.
It taking longer to clean up Jim Lee’s suite before a party than it took for the actual party to get shut down by security.


THINGS I HEARD PEOPLE SAY:
"Just write the fuckin’ Wolverine."
"Not bad for a pale face."
"There’s no such thing as a comic book emergency."
"I wanna know who the rat bastard was that called in the complaint."
"That’s gotta be what trench warfare smelled like."
"You know what doesn’t talk? A peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Go make me one."

14 comments :

Unknown at: 2:51 AM said...

the 'Things People Said' were hilarious.

David Press at: 8:25 AM said...

I second what Tom said. Too bad you lost at the Eisners, but, hey, I would have had the same attitude in regards to Paul Pope.

mellon at: 5:53 PM said...

i think grant morrison was making out with rosario dawson. damn shame you missed out on it.

(i did have the fortune of riding in the elevator with said ms. dawson at heroes, and she is waaaayyy hotter in person, and she's damn hot on film).

-Mellon

Jason Aaron at: 6:55 PM said...

i think grant morrison was making out with rosario dawson. damn shame you missed out on it.

If I had seen that, my head would've exploded.

Unknown at: 3:01 AM said...

You're welcome paleface. I need to do a new batch of cards where the title font/header isn't truncated. Good meeting you at the show man.

-R

Unknown at: 3:04 AM said...

oh, and my two contenders for 'best things heard at SDCC' are:

"Mice are the new ninjas" (told to Tony Lee in a pitch meeting)

"I'm not paying you to piss!" (we'll just leave it at that...)

Jason Aaron at: 10:54 AM said...

HA! Those are both gems, Rantz. Good meeting you too, man.

((Ray)) at: 3:24 PM said...

Ah, nice Con recap. I can relate to some of this. Warren Ellis is so freakin hilarious in real-time. Brian Posehin, I saw him at the Eisners in the distance; if you had won would you take his advice and impress the strippers with the blingin Eisner around your neck? I would.
Brian Azzarello is great, and so charmingly odd looking. Didn't know Jim Lee was such a party, that will taint my impression of him from now on.

Didn't meet Grant?? That sucks. He's so damn fascinating, everyone should suck him into a conversation if they can get away with it. But does his wife know he's making out with Rosario Dawson?



Can I be self-serving enough to recommend my own blog recap:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=2661120&blogID=293432454

Grant Morrison's very much in there, you too...

keep up the good work Paleface!

((Ray)) at: 3:26 PM said...

or if that link didn't show up just

http://blog.myspace.com/rayhecht


sorry I can't help myself

Jason Aaron at: 7:15 PM said...

Didn't know Jim Lee was such a party, that will taint my impression of him from now on.

Nothing I said should taint your opinion of Jim Lee. Jim's a great guy. The party in his room was shut down because of noise complaints. I was merely commenting on how quickly it all fell apart.

And I'm totally jealous that you got to hang out with Grant Morrison. I never even saw him.

B. Clay Moore at: 8:02 PM said...

Oh, was San Diego last weekend?

((Ray)) at: 9:18 PM said...

Too late, I'm imaging a coke-fueled comicbook orgy. No worries though, thats a very good tainted impression.
just kidding, I've got nothing against Jim Lee.

Next time do a chaos magic spell to draw Grant towards you, envision the homemade sigil, maybe that would help...

Jason Aaron at: 10:33 PM said...

Next time do a chaos magic spell to draw Grant towards you, envision the homemade sigil, maybe that would help...

Somehow, I don't think jerking off on the floor of the con is going to draw Grant towards me. It might attract the attention of security though...

((Ray)) at: 12:52 AM said...

Totally worth being on the sex offender list, I promise.

Popular Posts

Blog Archive